Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Problem

It's official.  I have a chinoiserie problem.  I obsessively buy blue & white cantonware, anything adorned in faux bamboo, pagodas to the moon, and carved or silk chinoiserie screens to cover the Great Wall. 
I didn't think that liking a little ginger jar here (pairs please), or a gilt pagoda mirror there would be classified as an addiction.  It wasn't until I realized that a herd of elephant garden stools and an absolute need for fretwork sent me into a breathy state of lightheadedness that I began to accept my addiction. 
Part of being an addict is recognizing it.  The other part is the desire to remedy the problem.  Well, my problem really isn't hurting anyone (except maybe the next obsessive collector in my footsteps at a show!).  I think my collection is actually making the world a better place - or my home at the very least.  Without obsessives we would be lacking in some of the world's most incredible museums, right? 
I know there are more of you out there in the world.  I see you on Pinterest (I follow you and you pin from me, too, admit it).  You come into my shop and confess, out of earshot of your friends, that your eye beams to the nearest bit of blue & white upon crossing the threshold.  This little blog is for you.  It's for all of you who may dress for the day inspired by your chinoiserie dining room, or cannot resist that vintage charm bracelet with the little Chinese characters. 
Cheers to us at Chinoiserie Anonymous!  May you always lounge on bamboo, add more fringe, and be illuminated by a ginger jar lamp...



 
An excellent entry.  Note the foo dogs, blue and white, and a tray.  Obviously.  We must have a nice tray on the entry table. Ikat and chinoiserie are friends and really compliment each other.  I love a little print mixing and bold color. 

Hello, I would love this pagoda bed.  It may be the only canopy bed I would consider (unless of course there was one adorned with heaps of tassels...)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment