Sunday, April 21, 2013

Touches of Chinoiserie

Please do not get me wrong; I do not think an entire space should be covered with chinoiserie. After all, no one I know actually lives in a pagoda (even then I feel like the pagoda interior is tres sparse...). The bit I love about dashes of chinois here and there is that it authenticates a space.

I especially mean vintage and antique chinoiserie. Nods or full interpretations of Chinese design in new pieces can look ravishing if the item is high quality or has the right detail. The bonus with vintage is, although it may be faux, it often has the credibility of age that lends itself to Carte Blanche chinoiserie style.

If you're new to my full on addiction, start slowly. Introduce a garden stool. See how it feels (it will feel great!) and whether or not you want to seek out other accents that add diverse authenticity to your home or office.

I urge you to try it in the office unless you're in a grey cubicle made of resin walls. At this point hire a contractor and build a pagoda roof for your cubicle immediately. Contact Gracie Paper and ask them to cut the panels to fit a cubicle sized eye sore. Oh, tangent! This is a subject for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment