Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bamboo: The (ongoing) Quest

Everyone who has an inkling about my decorative preferences knows that I am a devoted fan of bamboo. I'm not talking that hip "green" material pressed into cutting boards or woven into soft and sustainable fabrics (although very nice developments in the world of bamboo). I'm talking vintage and antique bamboo furniture - bentwood, twisted, designed, and pieced together into delicious fretwork.

I have some standards when it comes to bamboo furniture, but really most of it has potential. There's a collection of 1980s "rattan" that migrated to our coastal areas and lived, en mass, in beachfront condos and vacation homes. Maybe these days it seems a bit dated, but a coat of glossy coral paint and a Hicks-ian style print would give these consignment store finds new life on your sunny porch (don't forget the garden stool accents!).

My preferred obsession is the type of incredible fretwork bamboo shown below...my quest for the chaise version goes on. I have no doubt at least one will cross my lucky path in my vintage safaris! I'll keep you posted, dear reader...








No comments:

Post a Comment